Sunday 8 January 2012

So they say running is cool now?

Now I have heard people say that ‘running is now cool’. I would give anyone a healthy debate on this topic because how ever much I run and however many fantastic runners I meet I will never agree with this statement. My reasons are 7-fold:

1.  Firstly all I have to say is LYCRA. Well as far as I am concerned I have just won the debate but I will continue nevertheless. We all know we shouldn’t be wearing Lycra, it’s HIDEOUS but yes, it is comfortable so I’ll give you that one, it is acceptable to run in Lycra. Lycra is definitely not cool.

2. Secondly…sweating. We all get a sweaty when we’re working hard enough but gathering hundreds of people together who will all end up stinky and sweaty is not cool. Running behind someone who hasn’t put on deodorant is not cool, running behind someone doused in perfume is also horrendous so it’s hard to win. To sum up, running is smelly! 

3. Running photography is next. Now while we all LOVE getting that illusive picture that represents the actual feeling of running really fast “wow I look great running”, or that magnificent shot with a mile between our feet and the floor “look I really am flying!” these are at best rare. Let’s face it, the majority of running pictures make us look like:
we’re not fit enough to be running;
we were about to pass out;
we need to work on our running technique.
Taking lots of photographs when we are wearing Lycra and sweating (please see above) is not a good idea on any level, and I love photography. This brings me onto my next problem with running being cool; looking nice.

4.  While myself and the lovely Jaz think it is normal to run wearing make up, most people think we are mad. When doing an activity where there are lots of photos being taken WHILE I am wearing Lycra and sweating (see above) then I need all the help I can get! Running definitely cannot be cool if you turn up looking nice and get frowned at; turn up looking muddy and unkempt or in REALLY short shorts and you’ll fit right in-definitely not cool!

5. There is nothing cool about sports bras. They are tight, can be uncomfortable and generally not very pretty. I don’t mind spending money on nice lingerie. It is something quite different to buy a sports bra (which are pretty expensive, my shock absorber was £37!) that you have to fight to get into which then crushes your ribs and straps you down so that you are almost flat chested! Or as one of the old boys marshalling the East Hull 20 told me “I shouldn’t think you even need a sports bra by the looks of you” ha ha ha ha :D sports bars are a necessity but don’t do us any favours and are certainly not cool. 

6.    Men in tights have been something that has concerned me and some of my friends for quite some time. A friend of mine, Krystal, and I were most upset one year because ‘Elf’ had just been released and all the busses were covered in pictures of Will Ferrell IN TIGHTS! Yuck! We were so upset by it that it was several years before either of us watched the film (which is AWESOME, men in tights nearly made us miss it altogether!). Anyway I digress, the point I am trying to make is that there is something disturbing about men in tights. It’s just not cool, and if you spend enough time running then not only do you become accustomed to seeing men wearing tights, but you even find yourself lending your husband a pair of your tights to wear to a fancy dress parkrun! :/ Krystal would be MOST disturbed!

7.  Last but not least, and as far as I’m concerned WORST OF ALL is ‘spitting’ and ‘snotting’. There is nothing worse than running near someone who is expelling their bodily fluids out of their nose and mouth, ESPECIALLY if they’re in front of you so you can see and EVEN WORSE on a windy day! Ewwwwwww! THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT COOL! Also I have recently learnt that some women do this too so it’s not even a gender thing, it’s just a hideous runner thing-not cool.

As much as I LOVE my running friends and however many miles I run, running will never, ever be cool. I trust I have convinced you all. Case closed!

I would like to leave you with one final thought; while the above paints a fairly bleak picture of running there is nothing like the smug feeling walking about (yes in your Lycra) after a race thinking ‘what a GREAT race’, ‘I feel GREAT for doing that’ or ‘what a GREAT day to be running’. Running does not have, or need, to be cool……..we’ll do it anyway because of one or all of the following:
a)    We are mad enough
b)   We are awesome runners
c)    We secretly like the pain
d)   We just like getting outside and letting our legs do their thing
e)    We feel a massive sense of achievement afterwards
f)     To get or stay fit
g)    To achieve a goal
h)   We just couldn’t imagine doing anything else
i)      Because we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment